Social media is part of our everyday lives. As a matter of fact researchers found that we spend on average 5hr a day on our cell-phones, which is 35 hours a week, 6 days a month and 72 days a year (https://www.camh.ca/en/camh-news-and-stories/give-me-a-break-from-social-media).
Question is, what would happen if we decide to ‘unplug’ from our mobile devices, for a weekend, or even few hours?
- You’ll get more work done, and you’ll do it faster (no distracting notifications and pings)
- You’ll get your creative juices flowing
- You might feel anxious at first (ever felt those ‘ghost vibrations’ in your pocket?)
- You’ll feel less stressed
- You’ll feel more self-assured (and not let likes define how great you’ve spend your last vacation)
- You’ll get more sleep (ditch that blue light screen!)
- You’ll strengthen your face-to-face relationships (wonders happen when we’re not staring down at our phones)
- You’re less likely to get bored (ever wondered when you’ll have time for that book sitting on your night table?)
- You’ll sit less (yay for joining that Zumba class on Monday!)
- You’ll learn more about yourself.
Start by choosing an evening, weekend, or another set period of time in which you can pull the digital plug. You can set your own rules, but it’s most effective if you can shut off all devices.
Are you up for the challenge?
– Sapere Aude